Sunday, March 23, 2008

Resurrection


As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. - Ephesians 2: 1-9


Today we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, but what does it really mean to you and me?


Victory over death? Yes!


The end of Satan's reign in the hearts of man? Absolutely!


However, this Easter the resurrection has a different meaning for me. If Christ indeed has the power to be victorious over death, then surely he has the power to give me victory over the sin in my life. If he could endure the most severe beating ever given, then hang on a cross for three hours, be buried, then rise again three days later, I think he can handle my shortcomings. If he could take on the sin of the world, I'm quite sure he can help me conquer mine.


But do I let him?


The short answer is no. I am so selfish and arrogant that I won't allow God himself to strengthen me. I would rather (at best) try to beat sin under my own strength, or (more likely) revel in my sin. I am prideful, lustful, and I struggle with anger. And what do I do about it? I tell God that I want Him to change me, but am unwilling to make the sacrifice necessary to do so.


It's almost funny when you think about it: He was willing to sacrifice his life and die for me, but I won't lay down my pride long enough to embrace his grace, power, and victory. Rather than be made alive in Christ, exalted to the heavens with Him in glory, I choose to remain rotting in the grave as he waits outside, knocking. Now that I think about it, it's not really funny at all.


But no longer.


As God and everyone reading this as my witness, I am through with mediocrity and inconsistency. With the power of Christ in me, I will flee from sin both public and private and pursue righteousness with all that is within me. I am sick and tired of living in partial obedience (rebellion) and hypocrisy. I want nothing less than total victory in Jesus Christ my Lord. I want my love and passion for God and His Word to surpass anything else in my life. I want to live not in the shadow of death and sin, but in the light of resurrection.


I would ask everyone reading this to hold me accountable to everything that I have written here.


God Bless.

No comments: